Friday, 9 July 2010

Aston-on-Trent

In the churchyard of the pretty South Derbyshire village of Aston-on-Trent, under a shady tree, is a grave stone with the following inscription

To the Memory of Keturah wife of John Webb/who died May 10th 1826 in the 78th year of her age/John Webb died April 30th 1830 aged 80 years/in peace they lived and died/ John Webb their son/ died June 5th 1839/aged 58 years.

John and Keturah Webb (nee Addams) were the parents of my 3x great grandfather Francis Webb who was born at Aston-on-Trent in 1789. As well as Francis and John, mentioned above, the couple had other children - Dorothy, Anne, Kitturah, Fransisco, Ulissa and Celia. It was when I saw the name Celia that I knew I had found the right family as this name has been carried through each generation right to the present in my cousin's second name. Here is a - link- to a post I wrote a while ago about my great grandmother Celia.


Francis Webb eventually moved to Nottingham where he married Mary Palmer on the 31st March 1816. By the time of the 1841 Census Francis and Mary are living at Park Square in the St Nicholas district of Nottingham his occupation is Lace Maker as is that of their eldest son, Robert. The also have other children Celia, Amos, Frank and Rebecca. Rebecca is my great great grandmother who married my great great grandfather Alexander Young in 1834.

Mary Webb died in 1845 and Francis was married for a second time in 1846 to Hannah Robinson. On the 1851 Census Francis and Hannah are living at Walker Street, Sneinton, Nottingham with the two younger children Frank and Rebecca - all four are working in the lace industry. Francis's second wife Hannah died in 1851 and Francis was married for a third time to Sarah Wilson. By the time of the 1861 Census, Francis, now 71 years old is still working in the lace industry as a warper. He died later that year.

I think what struck me most about John and Keturah and indeed Francis was that they lived into their 70s and 80s - quite a feat in the 19th century. I also wondered about the fact that an inscribed slate head stone existed as this implies that the family had enough money to purchase it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rosie
    I am trying to confirm a link to Aston of my 3 x great grandfather Edward Elihu Webbe b 1814, note the surname derivation. Whose parents may have been John Webbe and Mary Frearson b 1776. The trigger was the christian name lovat, lovatt or lovatte as it has been used down the generations drawn it would appear from the Frearson family which still lives on in my fathers name Edward lovat Webbe b 1920. In all my delvings the stand out point is most lived to a ripe old age. Any help would be appreciated.

    Yours
    Peter Webbe

    ReplyDelete
  2. His Peter,

    I know very little about the Webb family before Francis Webb who I knew was born at Aston-on-Trent. We dropped into the village quite by chance on our way elsewhere and easily found the MIs there. When I got home I looked up the church to find out more and also found that a local group had recorded the MIs in both church and churchyard. I've just looked at their website (link below) and noticed a reference to a Lovat Frearson d 1817 aged 69 -
    http://astonontrenthistory.org.uk/pdf_files/gravestones_all_alphabetical.pdf

    you may have found this already of course. I did notice from both census and MIs that the Webbs did seem to choose unusual names for their children. Hope this helps:)

    ReplyDelete