Friday, 27 November 2009

A Return to Awsworth

After a few months of inactivity as far as family history research is concerned, this week, I was galvanised into action by not one but two e-mails from people about ancestors on my mother's side of the family. One of them introduced me to some fascinating on-line information, of which more in another post. The second brought about a chain of events that led to one of those eureka moments you get when researching your family tree.

My great great grandmother Alice Limb (nee Reeve) was born in Awsworth in 1835 - see my post Reeves in Awsworth for more details of her early life. She died in Shirebrook, Derbyshire on 17th April 1903 at the age of 68. According to her death certificate she died from bronchitis and heart failure. After our joint success in finding the final resting place of our great grandmother Celia - see my post Desperately Seeking Celia - my fellow detective and I had not been so lucky in finding out where Alice was buried, for, although she died at Shirebrook, she certainly wasn't buried there.


After receiving an e-mail earlier this week from said fellow detective who had still been gnawing at the bone of Alice's whereabouts I started messing around on line and, for some reason returned to the Rootsweb lists that I had been a member of several years ago but had given up on because the amount of e-mails I was receiving each day got too much to cope with. Anyway, I went to browse the 'Nottsgen' mailing list and saw some e-mails from September this year concerning burials at Awsworth St Peter's Church. One of the e-mails was headed burials at St Peter's, Awsworth 1902/3. I scanned down the list of names and there was the name Alice Limb! Could it be our Alice? I contacted the person who had put the list on the message board and she replied almost immediately - yes, it was Alice Limb of Shirebrook who had died on 17th April 1903. So now we know where she was buried and given the story of Celia Limb I don't know why we hadn't thought of it before. Or perhaps we had but for some reason discounted it, anyway - at last Alice was found. A quick visit to the church by my fellow detective hadn't revealed a headstone for Alice but it did one for her parents so she may be somewhere in the same area of the churchyard.

The next step of the research is to find out if there is a plan of the churchyard so we can find out exactly where in the churchyard Alice's grave is situated and then to find out if our great great grandfather Joseph Limb was taken there to be buried with her. He died in December 1914 in Nottingham and a friend of a friend had already very kindly done a search in the Archives of the Nottingham Cemetery databases for his burial and found nothing. I get the feeling that Joseph will be found with or near Alice at Awsworth St Peter's - so onwards to the next bit of research - I'll let you know what we find.

2 comments:

  1. Spot on description! We will find our Joseph yet.

    ReplyDelete