Friday, 13 February 2009
A Simple Spelling Error
I mentioned in my recent post on searching the 1911 census that on one side of my family, great grandparents were missing. Well, now they are found. I knew the family should have been on Maypole Hill, Newhall as they were there in 1901 and my great grandmother died there in 1915 but I didn't have a house number. By searching for Maypole Hill, Newhall I'd found that only odd numbered houses had been transcribed. I e-mailed the help team on the 1911 site to enquire if some houses had been missed in the transcription and I had a response and enquiry number retuned immediately along with a promise that they would look into my query and respond in a couple of days. In the meantime I decided to look again at the 1901 census on ancestry and I'm glad I did because I discovered that there was a house number after all. Number 3. I returned to the 1911 site and brought up the transcription for that household, and there they were as Gaugh instead of Gough. There is a button available on the transcript to report any errors so I gave them my findings. Not long after I received an e-mail saying that the transcription had been sorted and that they were pleased to see I had answered the query for myself. Wonderful - someone had actually, not only sorted my query out but had the gumption to put two and two together and realise both queries related to the same problem. Pretty good service I would say.