Wednesday, 4 July 2007

Lace Street

According to his death certificate my great great grandfather Joseph Limb died at number 34 Lace Street, Nottingham. A widower, aged 77, he was living in Nottingham with his daughter and son-in-law, Alfred and Susanna Meakin. I'm guessing that the Meakins, who used to live on Warren Terrace, Shirebrook near to Joseph and other family members moved to Nottingham for work and took their father with them to look after him.

Yesterday during a visit to friends in Nottingham I was able to locate Lace Street and take photographs. I found number 34 although it may be that the street has been re-numbered since 1914, I will have to check this out.

Here is Lace Street



and here is number 34



I wonder what my great great grandfather who was born in 1837 would have thought of the wheelie bins, the for sale notice, the student accommodation signs and the traffic whizzing by on the road outside?

1 comment:

  1. You'rs a family historian too! I'm going to bookmark this page and come back and read it properly in the darker days of autumn and winter. My mum's family were from Nottingham too, Arnold then the centre around Glasshouse Street in later years. Like you I wish I'd asked more questions while my mum and dad were still alive!

    ReplyDelete