Friday, 18 May 2007

The Young Family

When you first start to research your family history you tend to start with the four names of your grandparents often sticking to your two grandfather's sides first unless there is a specific reason to follow up another name. This being the case with my research it took me a while to start on my maternal grandfather's mother's family. My great-grandmother was Celia Palmer Young. She was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire in 1866, the daughter of Alexander Young, a tailor, of that town.

Celia is an interesting character in her own right so I'll write about her later on - for now I'm going to take you backwards in time. Alexander Young was born in Loughborough, Leicestershire in 1834. He was the son of John Young, tailor and his wife Maria Parkinson. Alexander and his seven siblings (there were four more to come along later) were all christened on the same day 11th September, 1836 at the Dead Lane Primitive Methodist Church in Loughborough. On the 1851 census the family are living at 112 Regent Street, Loughborough but by 1861 at least some of the family have moved to the St. Mary's area of Nottingham. Both John and his son Alexander are working as tailors, the younger girls are all working in the lace industry. Alexander has married - his wife is Rebecca Webb daughter of Francis Webb and Mary Palmer and is living on Little John Street whilst John, Maria and the younger girls are living on Flewitt Street. By the 1871 Census Alexander and his family have moved to Ilkeston and are living on Extension Street. John must have died sometime between the 1861 and 1871 census. Now John is an interesting character because he wasn't an East Midlander; on the census of 1851 he gives his birthplace as Fifeshire, Scotland and hereby lies my brick wall.

Working from his age on this census John Young would have been born around 1804 and just looking at the records available on line there are many John Youngs born in Fifeshire in and around that year. I thought that this was as far as I could get back on this line. Recently, however, thanks to some free units for Scotlands People I have found a John Young born to an Alexander Young, tailor, in 1804 in Dunfermline. I have no way of knowing if this is the right John Young but the naming patterns and occupation seen to me to be quite good indications of being on the right track. I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment